Thompson's 19 leads North Texas past FIU 68-66Feb 6, 2010 - 9:47 PM MIAMI(AP) -- Tristan Thompson scored 19 points and North Texas defeated Florida International 68-66 on Saturday.
The Golden Panthers trailed 67-66 and had an opportunity to take the lead with 22 seconds remaining. But Phil Gary missed on a 3-point attempt with 2 seconds left.
George Odufawa was fouled after he rebounded Gary's missed shot and converted one of two free throws.
North Texas (15-8, 8-5 Sun Belt Conference) overcame a six-point deficit and scored 11 unanswered points during a 3:14 span late in the second half. Thompson's 3-pointer ended the run with 1:14 left, giving the Mean Green a 67-63 lead.
The victory avenged North Texas' 80-70 home loss against Florida International December 20.
Marvin Roberts scored 16 points for the Golden Panthers (7-19, 4-9).
- No. 5 Louisville powers past FIU Dec 5
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 5
- Qualls leads Arkansas over North Texas Nov 29
- Razorbacks hope to continue fast start against Mean Green Nov 28
- Smith powers Louisville to blowout of FIU Dec 22
- Cardinals fly south to take on Panthers Dec 21
- FIU tabs Evans as head coach Apr 16
- Western Kentucky wins back-to-back Sun Belt titles Mar 12
- Hilltoppers and Panthers duke it out for Sun Belt crown Mar 11
- Louisville blows past FIU Dec 20
- Panthers hope to claw their way past fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 19
- McDermott leads Bluejays past North Texas Nov 10