Hayward's 28 lifts Marquette over Providence 82-79Feb 6, 2010 - 7:28 PM PROVIDENCE, R.I.(AP) -- Lazar Hayward scored 28 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead Marquette to an 82-79 comeback win over Providence on Saturday.
Jimmy Butler finished with 19 points and seven rebounds for the Golden Eagles (15-8, 6-5 Big East), who found themselves playing from behind against a team they beat by 30 points at home Jan. 17.
Providence held control for most of the game behind Jamine Peterson's 28 points. Sharaud Curry added 23 points for the Friars.
But Marquette took control of the game in the second half with solid defense, hitting seven second-half 3-point shots.
Trailing by as much as eight, the Friars (12-11, 4-7) made a late charge, cutting Marquette's lead to one with less than a minute to play.
But Hayward put the game away, snagging an offensive rebound with 15 seconds left and nailing two free throws to give his team a three-point cushion.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MARQUETTE 36 46 82
PROVIDENCE 40 39 79 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: MARQUETTE - LAZAR HAYWARD 28, JIMMY BUTLER 19, DAVID
PROVIDENCE - JAMINE PETERSON 28, SHARAUD CURRY 23,
BILAL DIXON 13
Feb 6 2:06 PM
- NCAA BB
PROVIDENCE 40 HALFTIME
Feb 6 12:49 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Feb 4
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23