Macklin, Parsons lead Florida past MSU 69-62Feb 6, 2010 - 9:03 PM GAINESVILLE, Fla.(AP) -- Vernon Macklin and Chandler Parsons each scored 20 points to lead Florida to a 69-62 victory over Mississippi State on Saturday.
Florida (17-6, 6-3 Southeastern Conference) snapped a two-game losing streak in the series. The Gators' last victory over the Bulldogs came Jan. 24, 2007.
Mississippi State (16-7, 4-4) has lost four of its last five games.
Ravern Johnson finished with 20 points and Jarvis Varnado added 16 points and 13 rebounds for Mississippi State.
Florida had a 12-point lead with 2:38 to play, but struggled to close out the game.
The Bulldogs scored seven unanswered points to cut the lead to 61-56. Johnson and Barry Stewart each hit 3-pointers in the final minute, cutting Florida's lead to 66-62 with 22.4 seconds to play.
Parsons and Erving Walker combined to hit three free throws to close out the final seconds.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MISSISSIPPI STATE 29 33 62
FLORIDA 27 42 69 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: MISSISSIPPI STATE - RAVERN JOHNSON 20, JARVIS VARNADO 16,
BARRY STEWART 12
FLORIDA - VERNON MACKLIN 20, CHANDLER PARSONS 18,
ALEX TYUS 9
Feb 6 3:48 PM
- NCAA BB
MISSISSIPPI ST 29
FLORIDA 27 HALFTIME
Feb 6 2:32 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8