Valparaiso staves off 18-0 Detroit run, wins 74-70Feb 6, 2010 - 9:55 PM VALPARAISO, Ind.(AP) -- Brandon Wood scored 18 points and Valparaiso weathered an 18-0 second-half run by Detroit to win 74-70 Saturday.
Michael Rogers added 13 points for the Crusaders (12-13, 7-6 Horizon League), who have won six of their last eight games. Brandon McPherson and Cory Johnson scored 12 apiece, and Ryan Broekhoff grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds.
Chase Simon led the Titans (14-10, 7-6) with 20 points. Xavier Keeling added 17 and Eli Holman 13.
After Rogers' dunk put Valparaiso ahead 47-32 with 17:44 to go, Detroit went on an 18-0 run, finally going ahead 50-47 on Keeling's 3-pointer with 11:20 left.
Detroit pushed its lead to 54-50, but Valparaiso responded with eight in a row for a 58-54 edge. The Crusaders did not give up the lead again, though Simon's 3-pointer with 1:38 left trimmed it to 71-70. Two McPherson free throws and one by Broekhoff sealed it.
- NCAA BB
VALPARAISO 74 FINAL
Feb 6 4:22 PM
- NCAA BB
VALPARAISO 43 HALFTIME
Feb 6 3:00 PM
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Maryland survives Valparaiso to advance Mar 20
- Terps open NCAA Tournament play against Crusaders Mar 20
- Valpo comes back to beat Green Bay in Horizon final Mar 10
- Crusaders clash with Phoenix for Horizon League crown Mar 10
- Wichita State rallies past Detroit Dec 13
- Titans seek upset of 11th-ranked Shockers Dec 13
- No. 24 Michigan pulls away to beat Detroit Nov 20
- Intrastate rivals collide, as Titans visit Wolverines Nov 20
- Bryce Drew, Valpo agree on new 10-year deal Dec 18