Santa Clara pulls away, beats San Diego 59-43Feb 7, 2010 - 4:05 AM SAN DIEGO(AP) -- Freshman Robert Smith scored 16 points, including 10 straight in the second half, as Santa Clara pulled away to a 59-43 victory over San Diego on Saturday night.
Smith's 10-point streak began and ended with 3-point shots, and gave Santa Clara a 40-28 lead with 11:15 remaining.
The Broncos (10-16, 2-7 West Coast) broke a three-game losing streak despite committing 15 turnovers and making just 17-of-29 free throws. Raymond Cowels added 11 points.
Roberto Mafra scored eight points to lead San Diego (9-16, 2-7), which scored only 19 second-half points after the Broncos led 26-24 at halftime. The Toreros, who have lost seven of eight, shot 35.9 percent from the field and made just 11-of-21 from the line.
Brandon Johnson scored six points to draw within five points of breaking San Diego's career scoring record, held by Gyno Pomare.
- NCAA BB
SANTA CLARA 59
SAN DIEGO 43 FINAL
Feb 6 10:37 PM
- NCAA BB
SANTA CLARA 26
SAN DIEGO 24 HALFTIME
Feb 6 9:35 PM
- Santa Clara hopes Sendek can lift team to WCC elite Mar 30
- Santa Clara hires Herb Sendek as new head coach Mar 29
- Santa Clara fires basketball coach Kerry Keating Mar 7
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- San Diego hires Lamont Smith as coach Mar 31
- San Diego fires men's hoops coach Grier Mar 16
- Gonzaga pulls away from San Diego Feb 27
- Toreros face tall task in clash with third-ranked Zags Feb 26
- Gonzaga pulls away in second half, tops Santa Clara Feb 6
- Broncos face tall task in clash with second-ranked Bulldogs Feb 5
- Gonzaga rolls over Santa Clara Jan 11
- Broncos battle Bulldogs in WCC fracas Jan 10