Illinois State nips Drake 71-68Feb 7, 2010 - 3:53 AM NORMAL, Ill.(AP) -- Lloyd Phillips scored 17 points, including a 3-pointer with 24 seconds to play, and Illinois State held on to beat Drake 71-68 Saturday night.
Osiris Eldridge had 15 points and nine rebounds for the Redbirds (16-8, 7-6 Missouri Valley), who rallied from an early 20-9 deficit. Dinma Odiakosa added 11 points.
Phillips' 3-pointer gave Illinois State a 68-67 lead. Eldridge made one of two free throws with 11 second left.
Josh Young led Drake (11-14, 6-7) with 22 points. However, the senior guard missed the back end of a one-and-one with 1 second remaining that would have tied the game at 69. Eldridge grabbed the rebound and was fouled, then made both free throws for the final margin.
Earlier in the game, Young became Drake's all-time leading scorer with 1,665 points - eight more than Red Murrell, who played from 1955-58.
Adam Templeton scored 15 points for the Bulldogs.
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS ST 71 FINAL
Feb 6 10:27 PM
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS ST 30 HALFTIME
Feb 6 9:03 PM
- Drake hoping to turn corner in 2015-16 Oct 5
- Illinois State staffers among 7 dead in plane crash Apr 7
- Northern Iowa claims Missouri Valley title Mar 8
- Redbirds tangle with Panthers for MVC Tournament title Mar 8
- Good Knight: Illinois St. stuns Wichita in MVC semis Mar 7
- Shockers meet Redbirds in MVC semifinals Mar 7
- No. 15 Wichita State tops Illinois State Feb 14
- Redbirds seek upset of 15th-ranked Shockers Feb 14
- No. 13 UNI overwhelms Illinois State Feb 11
- Northern Iowa easily handles Drake Feb 7
- Bulldogs hit road to challenge 14th-ranked Panthers Feb 7
- Northern Iowa survives against Illinois State Jan 25