Middle Tennessee defeats South Alabama 80-68Feb 6, 2010 - 9:40 PM MOBILE, Ala.(AP) -- James Washington scored 18 points and Middle Tennessee defeated South Alabama 80-68 on Saturday.
The Blue Raiders (14-11, 9-4 Sun Belt Conference), who trailed 63-61 with 7:25 to go, scored 10 straight, including two 3-pointers off two Jaguars' turnovers. Calvin O'Neil's free throw put Middle Tennessee up 71-63 with 3:56 remaining, and it would lead by no less than six points the rest of the way.
The Blue Raiders scored 23 points off 15 South Alabama (13-12, 5-8) turnovers, and won for the sixth time in seven games.
Washington was 4 of 9 from 3-point range and 6-for-6 from the free throw line for the Blue Raiders.
Desmond Yates scored 16 points, Montarrio Haddock 13 and James Gallman 11 for Middle Tennessee.
Tim Williams paced the Jaguars with 16 points. Bryan Sherrer added 14, Gary Redus 13 and Martino Brock 12 for South Alabama.
- NCAA BB
MIDDLE TENN 68
SOUTH ALABAMA 80 FINAL
Feb 6 4:11 PM
- NCAA BB
MIDDLE TENN 34
SOUTH ALABAMA 33 HALFTIME
Feb 6 3:00 PM
- Middle Tennessee State sets sights on upset of Syracuse Mar 19
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Potts out indefinitely with concussion for Middle Tennessee Feb 26
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- Bluejays and Blue Raiders meet in Emerald Coast Classic Nov 29
- No. 17 Miami returns home to beat South Alabama Nov 28
- Miami tries to avoid upset in clash with South Alabama Nov 28
- Gonzaga defeats South Alabama Dec 15
- South Alabama hits road to challenge No. 20 Gonzaga Dec 14
- No. 16 Florida races past Middle Tennessee Nov 22
- Blue Raiders put perfect mark on line against 16th-ranked Gators Nov 21