Prairie View A&M defeats Texas Southern 63-53Feb 7, 2010 - 4:57 AM PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas(AP) -- Michael Griffin scored 19 points to lead Prairie View A&M to a 63-53 win over Texas Southern on Saturday night.
The Panthers (12-9, 7-3 Southwestern) went into halftime up 37-28 and hung on the rest of the way, leading by as much as 13 early in the second period.
They shot 44 percent from the field and 58 percent from the free throw line. Darnell Hugee added 13 points and Duwan Kornegay scored 10.
The Tigers (11-11, 7-3) dominated in the paint with a 40-22 scoring advantage, but made just 9 of 21 tries from the free-throw line.
Travele Jones led the Tigers with 16 points and Marc Ellis added 11.
- Prairie View coach Rimm resigns with Panthers 1-18 Jan 27
- Arizona cruises by Texas Southern Mar 19
- Arizona starts tournament play against Texas Southern Mar 19
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14
- Tigers, Jaguars meet in SWAC title clash Mar 14
- Texas Southern stuns No. 25 Michigan State in OT Dec 20
- Weary Tigers visit 25th-ranked Spartans Dec 20
- Gonzaga crushes Texas Southern Dec 16
- Tigers face uphill climb in clash with Bulldogs Dec 15
- Cal Poly shuts down Texas Southern to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 19
- Mustangs and Tigers duke it out for spot in field of 64 Mar 19
- Texas Southern ends Prairie View's Cinderella run, wins SWAC Mar 15