Elon beats Western Carolina 81-76Feb 9, 2010 - 3:26 AM ELON, N.C.(AP) -- Drew Spradlin scored 16 points, leading five Elon players in double figures, as the Phoenix outlasted Western Carolina 81-76 on Monday night.
Adam Constantine added 15 points, TJ Douglas 14, Chris Long 13 and Terrance Birdette 10 for the Phoenix (6-17, 4-8 Southern Conference), who have won two straight games for the first time this season.
The Catamounts took a 4-0 lead, but Spradlin and Douglas knocked down back to back jumpers, sparking a 17-4 Phoenix run and they never trailed again. Western Carolina got within 74-67 with less than 2 minutes left, but Elon hit seven free throws to seal it down the stretch.
Brandon Giles scored 18 points to lead the Catamounts (18-7, 8-5), who have lost two games in a row for the first time this season. The Catamounts, who opened the season winning 10 of 11, have dropped back into the middle of the pack in the SoCon standings.
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- Western Carolina extends Hunter's contract Jun 6
- Wofford holds off Western Carolina for SoCon crown Mar 11
- Catamounts and Terriers meet for SoCon crown Mar 10
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18
- Duke routs Elon Dec 31
- Elon seeks upset of No. 7 Duke Dec 31
- Dinwiddie leads Colorado over Elon Dec 14
- No. 21 Colorado puts streak on the line against Elon Dec 13