Delaware State beats Norfolk State 54-52Feb 9, 2010 - 4:11 AM NORFOLK, Va.(AP) -- Marcus Neal scored 16 points to lead Delaware State to a 54-52 win over Norfolk State on Monday night.
Jay Threatt added 13 points, six assists and four steals for the Hornets (12-9, 7-3 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference).
Delaware State trailed 26-23 at halftime, but used a 12-0 run in the second half to take a 38-29 lead with 7:52 remaining. During the run, Norfolk State was held scoreless for almost 12 minutes.
The Spartans bounced back, and a jumper from Michael Deloach cut the Bears' lead to 52-50 with 12 seconds left. Threatt was then sent to the free-throw line and made one of two, but grabbed his own offensive rebound. He was fouled and made one of two again to give Mercer a 54-50 lead. Kyle O'Quinn's layup at the buzzer made up the final score.
Deloach scored 18 for Norfolk State (5-17, 4-6), while O'Quinn added 12 points and a career-high 17 rebounds.
- Delaware State beats D-III Summit U 93-44 for 1st win Jan 4
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- O'Neale's hot shooting powers Baylor past Norfolk St. Dec 30
- Norfolk State hits road to test No, 22 Baylor Dec 30
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past Norfolk State Nov 17
- Norfolk State pays visit to No. 9 Virginia Nov 16
- Delaware State fires Greg Jackson Jan 31
- No. 7 Oklahoma State demolishes Delaware State Dec 17
- Hornets hit road hoping to sting seventh-ranked Cowboys Dec 17
- Dayton tops Delaware State Dec 4
- 25th-ranked Flyers set sights on Hornets Dec 4