Colgate edges Lafayette 74-73 on Jonson free throwFeb 11, 2010 - 4:10 AM EASTON, Pa.(AP) -- Ben Jonson scored 17 points, including a deciding free throw with 4 seconds remaining, as Colgate edged Lafayette 74-73 on Wednesday night.
Colgate's Yaw Gyawu tied the score for the eighth time on a jumper with 2:46 left. After neither team scored for the next 2:20, Gyawu hit another jumper to put the Raiders (7-16, 3-6 Patriot League) ahead 73-71 with 26 seconds to go.
Jeff Kari made a pair of free throws with 17 seconds left for the Leopards (14-10, 5-4), who had trailed 47-32 with 16:59 left in the game.
After Jonson's go-ahead free throw, he missed his second try. Lafayette got the rebound, but Kari couldn't hit from long range.
Kyle Roemer also scored 17 points for Colgate and Gyawu added 14, nine of them in the second half.
Jim Mower scored 21 points to lead Lafayette, which has lost four of its last five games.
- Villanova trounces Lafayette in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Lafayette challenges No. 1 seed Villanova Mar 19
- Lafayette gets past American for Patriot League title Mar 11
- American and Lafayette meet for Patriot League title Mar 11
- No. 10 Kansas dominates Lafayette Dec 20
- Lafayette comes calling on No. 10 Kansas Dec 20
- Ohio State pulls away from Colgate Dec 7
- Buckeyes seek redemption in bout with visiting Raiders Dec 6
- No. 9 Orange cruise past Colgate Nov 16
- Raiders seek upset of ninth-ranked Orange Nov 16
- Bucknell bests Lafayette for Patriot crown Mar 13
- Bison, Leopards meet in Patriot League title game Mar 13