Texas-Arlington overcomes McNeese State 70-58Feb 11, 2010 - 4:37 AM LAKE CHARLES, La.(AP) -- LaMarcus Reed and Dwight Gentry scored 13 points each, picking up the slack from teammate Marquez Haynes, to help Texas-Arlington defeat McNeese State 70-58 on Wednesday night.
Haynes, who came in as the nation's second-leading scorer at 24.7 points per game, was held to 12, shooting just 3-for-10. The Mavericks (13-9, 5-4 Southland Conference), however, built a 40-22 halftime lead by shooting 51.5 percent (17-for-33) in the opening 20 minutes. The Cowboys (8-15, 3-6) shot just 26.9 percent (7-for-26) in the first half.
McNeese State cut into the lead by making 5 of 13 3-point tries in the second half after going 0-for-6 in the first. The Cowboys cut their deficit to eight points three times in the final 3:12 but got no closer.
Patrick Richard scored 14 points to lead McNeese State and Diego Kapelan, who was 3-for-7 on 3-pointers, added 13.
- Longhorns fend off Texas-Arlington Dec 3
- Mavericks face tall task in meeting with Longhorns Dec 2
- No. 1 Kentucky routs UT-Arlington 92-44 Nov 26
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with top-ranked Wildcats Nov 25
- San Diego State blows past McNeese State Dec 22
- No. 24 San Diego State entertains McNeese State Dec 21
- Young, Kentucky top UTA Nov 19
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with fourth-ranked Wildcats Nov 19
- Balanced attack sends Michigan State past McNeese State Nov 9
- No. 2 Michigan State opens against McNeese State Nov 8
- New Mexico State wins WAC Mar 17
- Mavericks square off with Aggies in WAC championship game Mar 16