Williams powers Arizona past Ducks 70-57Feb 12, 2010 - 5:39 AM By BOB BAUM AP Sports Writer
TUCSON, Ariz.(AP) -- Derrick Williams scored 11 of his 20 points in the first 3 1/2 minutes of the second half and the Arizona Wildcats went on to beat Oregon 70-57 on Thursday night.
The 6-foot-8, 225-pound freshman made eight of his 10 shots, including an array of wide-open dunks as the Wildcats (13-11, 7-5) moved into a tie with Arizona State for second in the scrambled Pac-10, a game behind first-place California.
Another freshman, Momo Jones, added 11 and Nic Wise 10 for Arizona. Jeremy Jacob and Teondre Williams scored 10 apiece for the Ducks (12-11, 4-7).
Freshmen scored the first 32 of Arizona's 34 second-half points.
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16