Loyola Marymount tops Santa Clara 73-67Feb 12, 2010 - 5:53 AM SANTA CLARA, Calif.(AP) -- Drew Viney scored 20 points to lead Loyola Marymount to a 73-67 victory over Santa Clara on Thursday night.
Kevin Young, Jarred DuBois and Vernon Teel each scored 14 points for the Lions (13-12, 4-5 WCC), who won for the third time in their past four games.
Freshman guard Robert Smith led Santa Clara (10-17, 2-8) with 21 points, making 8 of 19 shots from the field and 5 of 8 from 3-point range. Marc Trasolini had a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds, while Troy Payne added 12 points and 10 rebounds.
LMU led 43-27 at halftime and extended its lead to 24 with 12:15 remaining. But the Broncos went on a 17-2 run, cutting the lead to 64-55 with 7:02 to go.
The Broncos cut LMU's lead to eight points with 2:41 left on Smith's 3-point shot. Another Smith 3-pointer made it 70-66 with 1:32 remaining, but that's as close as Santa Clara got.
- Santa Clara hopes Sendek can lift team to WCC elite Mar 30
- Santa Clara hires Herb Sendek as new head coach Mar 29
- Santa Clara fires basketball coach Kerry Keating Mar 7
- No. 3 Gonzaga blows past Loyola Marymount Feb 13
- Lions face tall task in clash with third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 12
- Gonzaga pulls away in second half, tops Santa Clara Feb 6
- Broncos face tall task in clash with second-ranked Bulldogs Feb 5
- Balanced Zags beat LMU Jan 18
- First vs. worst in the WCC, as Zags visit Lions Jan 17
- Gonzaga rolls over Santa Clara Jan 11
- Broncos battle Bulldogs in WCC fracas Jan 10
- Wichita State has no problem with Loyola Marymount Dec 23