Ball State moves atop Mid-American with 71-66 winFeb 14, 2010 - 12:00 AM DEKALB, Ill.(AP) -- Ball State hit 8 of 9 free throws in the final two minutes Saturday to beat Northern Illinois 71-66 and take over first place in the Mid-American Conference West Division.
The Cardinals (13-11, 7-5) moved a half-game ahead of Central Michigan, which hosts Toledo on Sunday. Ball State and Central Michigan meet Wednesday in Muncie, Ind.
Ball State overcame a 30-point, 10-rebound performance by Xavier Silas, who was the only Northern Illinois player in double figures. The Huskies (8-16, 4-8) have lost eight straight games in conference play.
Randy Davis had 20 points, Jarrod Jones 16 and Pierre Sneed 11 for Ball State, which avenged a 62-48 loss to Northern Illinois earlier this season.
Davis hit two free throws with 1:06 left to put the Cardinals on top for good, 66-64. On the ensuing possession, Darion Anderson missed two free throws for Northern Illinois.
- NCAA BB
BALL ST 71
NORTHN ILLINOIS 66 FINAL
Feb 13 6:06 PM
- NCAA BB
BALL ST 25
NORTHN ILLINOIS 27 HALFTIME
Feb 13 5:01 PM
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Panthers battle Redbirds in MVC melee Jan 25
- Notre Dame rolls through NIU Dec 22
- Irish play host to Huskies Dec 22
- No. 19 San Diego State cruises past Ball State Dec 21
- Cardinals pay visit to 19th-ranked Aztecs Dec 20
- No. 25 Utah takes care of Ball State Nov 15
- No. 25 Utah opens season against Ball State Nov 14
- Northern Illinois extends Montgomery through 2018 Apr 18
- Iowa State blows through Northern Illinois Jan 1
- Cyclones put perfect mark on line against visiting Huskies Dec 31
- No. 22 UMass crushes Northern Illinois Dec 14