Houston outlasts SMU 66-60 behind LewisFeb 14, 2010 - 1:18 AM HOUSTON(AP) -- Kelvin Lewis scored 29 points to lead Houston to a 66-60 victory over SMU Saturday.
Houston led by 11 points early in the second half, but SMU pulled even with just over one minute remaining. Aubrey Coleman made a pair of free throws with a minute left for a 60-58 Cougars lead and Lewis added two more 16 seconds later.
Lewis did most of his damage from 3-point range, making 7-of-16 from behind the arc. Coleman added 16 points for Houston (13-11, 5-5 Conference USA).
Derek Williams had 24 points to lead SMU (11-13, 4-6). Mouhammad Faye had 10 and Papa Dia just missed a double-double with nine points and 10 rebounds.
Even with Lewis' 50 percent shooting day (9-for-18), the Cougars struggled from outside, making just 32 percent of their shots. But Houston was 18-for-20 from the free-throw line, including the last eight in the final minute.
- NCAA BB
HOUSTON 66 FINAL
Feb 13 6:53 PM
- NCAA BB
HOUSTON 31 HALFTIME
Feb 13 5:45 PM
- 'Oi Oi Oi!': SMU signs 2nd Australian for men's basketball May 2
- Last dance at SMU for Nic Moore won't be in NCAA Tournament Mar 5
- No longer perfect, NCAA-banned No. 13 SMU still AAC leader Jan 29
- SMU player caught up in sanctions plans to transfer Jan 15
- No. 10 SMU seeks 'crazy special' year without NCAA return Jan 12
- Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown back for No. 10 SMU Jan 11
- Larry Brown not on No. 15 SMU bench after halftime Jan 10
- Keith Frazier still away from No. 15 SMU for personal issues Jan 6
- SMU's Brown set for return after 9-game NCAA suspension Dec 21
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- SMU opener marks start of Larry Brown's NCAA suspension Nov 12
- SMU AD backs decision to accept ban after players' statement Oct 14