Norfolk State holds off Hampton 70-66Feb 14, 2010 - 2:06 AM HAMPTON, Va.(AP) -- Michael Deloach scored 22 points and three others hit double figures in Norfolk State's 70-66 win over Hampton on Saturday.
Rob Hampton added 13 points, and Aleek Pauline and Kyle O'Quinn each scored 10 for the Spartans (6-17, 5-6 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference), who have won three of their past four.
Hampton led 33-32 at halftime and the game stayed close until Norfolk State went on a 13-6 run to lead at 67-58 after a dunk by Hampton with 3:08 remaining.
The Pirates scored eight unanswered to cut the lead to 67-66 with 54 seconds to play, but the Spartans made 3 of 4 free throws, including two by Deloach, the rest of the way to preserve the win.
Vincent Simpson missed a 3-pointer with 11 seconds remaining that would have tied the game for the Pirates.
Michael Freeman led the Pirates (8-16, 4-7) with 17 points, Simpson had 16 and Darrion Pellum added 14.
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- O'Neale's hot shooting powers Baylor past Norfolk St. Dec 30
- Norfolk State hits road to test No, 22 Baylor Dec 30
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past Norfolk State Nov 17
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16