Valparaiso gets past Youngstown State 77-75Feb 14, 2010 - 3:58 AM YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio(AP) -- Brandon Wood scored 22 points and Matt Kenney got five of his 15 in the final 49 seconds as Valparaiso beat Youngstown State 77-75 on Saturday night.
Two layups by Wood brought the Crusaders (14-14, 9-7 Horizon League) within a point, 72-71, with 1:30 left. A dunk by Kenney gave them a 73-72 lead at the 49-second mark, and he was 4-for-4 on free throws the rest of the way.
Vytas Sulskis scored 11 points to help the Penguins (8-17, 2-13) lead 17-6 with 10:19 remaining in the first half. He finished with 24 points and 11 rebounds.
Valparaiso responded with a 17-2 run, ending with three baskets by Wood, two of them 3-pointers.
A 3-pointer and a jumper by Sulskis cut an eight-point Valparaiso lead in the second half to 38-35 with 16:24 left, and it stayed close after that.
Cory Johnson added 19 points for Valparaiso.
Kelvin Bright scored 18 and DeAndre Mays 16 for Youngstown State.
- NCAA BB
YOUNGSTOWN ST 75 FINAL
Feb 13 9:03 PM
- NCAA BB
YOUNGSTOWN ST 28 HALFTIME
Feb 13 7:47 PM
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Youngstown State beats Robert Morris 65-58 Dec 2
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Youngstown St. tops N. Dakota 79-69 for Slocum's 700th win Nov 23
- Maryland survives Valparaiso to advance Mar 20
- Terps open NCAA Tournament play against Crusaders Mar 20
- Valpo comes back to beat Green Bay in Horizon final Mar 10
- Crusaders clash with Phoenix for Horizon League crown Mar 10
- Bryce Drew, Valpo agree on new 10-year deal Dec 18
- Nix, Michigan State cruise past Valpo in second round Mar 21
- Spartans set sights on Crusaders in NCAA Tournament tilt Mar 20