Culpepper scores 45 points as UTEP wins 100-76Feb 14, 2010 - 5:24 AM EL PASO, Texas(AP) -- Randy Culpepper scored a career-high 45 points and UTEP ran away from East Carolina 100-76 Saturday night to maintain its hold on first place in Conference USA.
Culpepper finished 14 of 18 from the field, including 9 of 12 from 3-point range to tie for the second most points scored both UTEP and Conference USA history. The Miners (19-5) won their ninth straight conference game, tying the school record set in the 1954-55 season, and are 10-1 in conference for the first time.
Erin Straughn scored 18 points to lead the Pirates (8-17, 2-9), who have allowed 100 points in two of the last three games.
Culpepper scored a school and conference record 31 points in the first half as the Miners built a 63-33 advantage. East Carolina didn't get closer than 24 the rest of the way.
Derrick Caracter had 13 points for UTEP and Julyan Stone added 11 assists.
- No. 20 SMU beats ECU in American QFs Mar 13
- Pirates seek upset of Mustangs in AAC Tournament action Mar 13
- UTEP coach Floyd suspended 1 game Feb 27
- No. 3 Arizona outlasts UTEP Dec 20
- Third-ranked Wildcats hit road to battle Miners Dec 19
- No. 12 UNC routs East Carolina Dec 7
- 12th-ranked Tar Heels set sights on Pirates Dec 7
- Three UTEP men's hoops players dismissed after gambling probe Jan 7
- Ellis, Kansas hold off UTEP Nov 30
- Jayhawks seek redemption in clash with Miners Nov 30
- White powers Iowa past UTEP Nov 29
- Iowa takes on UTEP in Battle 4 Atlantis semifinal Nov 29