Mercer defeats East Tennessee State 82-77Feb 15, 2010 - 12:41 AM JOHNSON CITY, Tenn.(AP) -- E.J. Kusnyer scored 21 points and Daniel Emerson had 17 points and 11 rebounds to lead Mercer to an 82-77 victory over East Tennessee State on Sunday.
The Bears (13-13, 9-7 Atlantic Sun Conference) shot 63.2 percent from the field (12 of 19) in the second half and made its first 25 free throw attempts to snap ETSU's three-game winning streak. Mercer finished 33-for-40 from the line (82.5 percent) and swept the season series with the Buccaneers (14-13, 10-6).
ETSU fell one game behind Jacksonville and Belmont in the A-Sun.
The Buccaneers had a chance to cut the lead to one point twice in a 15-second span, but went 1-for-4 from the line. Mercer recovered to go 8-for-13 from the line in the final 2:27.
Mercer's James Florence added 12 points.
Tommy Hubbard had 24 points and 12 rebounds, Justin Tubbs added 13 and Micah Williams and Isiah Brown had 10 each for ETSU.
- East Tennessee State tabs Forbes as new men's basketball coach Mar 31
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Florida Gulf Coast downs Mercer for Atlantic Sun Tournament crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears clash for A-Sun title Mar 9
- No. 4 Arizona blasts East Tennessee State Dec 23
- Bucs seek upset of fourth-ranked Wildcats Dec 22
- North Carolina crushes East Tennessee State Dec 9