Winston-Salem defeats Coppin State 70-60Feb 16, 2010 - 3:53 AM BALTIMORE(AP) -- Shelton Carter scored 18 points and Winston-Salem defeated Coppin State 70-60 on Monday night.
The Rams (10-14) jumped out to a 7-0 lead and never trailed, as they shot 60.9 percent from the field in the first half (14 of 23) to snap a two-game losing streak.
Winston-Salem held the Eagles (7-17) to 31.5 percent shooting (17 of 54).
Paul Davis and Andrew Jackson added 12 points each for the Rams, and Marcus Wells chipped in 11. Winston-Salem was playing without second leading scorer, Brian Fisher - averaging 11.1 points per game and has 1,100 for his career - who suffered a concussion on Saturday.
Coppin State trailed 43-31 at halftime before scoring 11 straight to pull within one with 15:07 left.
The Rams answered with an 11-2 run to lead 54-44 on Carter's layup with 10:47 remaining.
Harvey Perry scored 15 and Michael Harper added 11 for Coppin State.
- NCAA BB
WINSTON SALEM 70
COPPIN ST 60 FINAL
Feb 15 9:26 PM
- NCAA BB
WINSTON SALEM 43
COPPIN ST 31 HALFTIME
Feb 15 8:24 PM
- Mitchell out at Coppin State after 28 years Mar 28
- Gonzaga cruises past Coppin State Dec 1
- No. 11 Gonzaga plays host to Coppin State Dec 1
- Irvin helps Michigan cruise past Coppin State Nov 29
- Wolverines set sights on Eagles Nov 29
- No. 1 Indiana rolls over Coppin State Dec 2
- No. 1 Indiana plays host to Coppin State Dec 1
- No. 24 Illinois races past Coppin State Dec 11
- Coppin State seeks upset of No. 24 Illinois Dec 11
- Napier's triple-double leads UConn past Coppin State Nov 20
- Coppin State pays visit to No. 4 UConn Nov 20
- Hamilton, Texas rout Coppin State Dec 31