Western Carolina defeats UNC-Greensboro 75-70Feb 16, 2010 - 2:34 AM GREENSBORO, N.C.(AP) -- Brandon Giles scored 20 points to help lead Western Carolina past North Carolina-Greensboro 75-70 on Monday night.
Richie Gordon added 11 points and Harouna Mutombo had 10 rebounds for the Catamounts, who snapped a three-game losing streak.
Western Carolina (19-8, 9-6 Southern Conference) won the rebounding battle 45-43, and had 22 second-chance points, compared to 14 by the Spartans (5-20, 4-10).
The Catamounts led 68-55 with 5:04 to go, and UNC-Greensboro pulled within 74-70 on a 15-2 run capped by Kyle Randall's layup with 29 seconds left.
Giles' free throw put Western Carolina up 75-70 with 21 seconds left, and the Spartans couldn't catch the Catamounts as Mikko Koivisto's 3 missed the mark with 5 seconds left.
Randall finished with 20 points and Koivisto added 13 for UNC-Greensboro, which lost its fourth straight.
- NCAA BB
WESTRN CAROLINA 75
UNC GREENSBORO 70 FINAL
Feb 15 9:04 PM
- NCAA BB
WESTRN CAROLINA 29
UNC GREENSBORO 23 HALFTIME
Feb 15 7:52 PM
- No. 24 North Carolina drops UNC Greensboro Dec 16
- Tar Heels make short trip to tangle with Spartans Dec 16
- Western Carolina extends Hunter's contract Jun 6
- Wofford holds off Western Carolina for SoCon crown Mar 11
- Catamounts and Terriers meet for SoCon crown Mar 10
- Young leads Oregon past Western Carolina Nov 14
- Whittington, Georgetown down Western Carolina Dec 15
- Catamounts seek upset of 15th-ranked Hoyas Dec 15
- Richardson leads No. 13 Illinois past Western Carolina Dec 5
- No. 13 Illinois plays host to Western Carolina Dec 4
- Davidson takes home Southern Conference title Mar 6
- SoCon title tilt pits Catamounts against Wildcats Mar 5