Winthrop knocks off Gardner-Webb 69-64Feb 17, 2010 - 2:39 AM ROCK HILL, S.C.(AP) -- Reggie Middleton scored 18 points to lead Winthrop to a 69-64 victory over Gardner-Webb on Tuesday night, the Eagles' seventh straight victory.
Matt Morgan added 17 points for Winthrop (15-10, 11-4 Big South Conference), which overcame shooting 34.5 percent from the field (20-for-58) for its 10th victory in 11 games.
Grayson Flittner hit three consecutive free throws to give Gardner-Webb (7-19, 5-10) a 50-49 lead with 5:15 remaining, but the Eagles scored the next nine points for a 58-50 advantage with 2:15 to play. Middleton then hit a free throw and layup to give Winthrop a 61-51 advantage with 51 seconds to play.
The Eagles went 8-for-10 from the line in the final 45 seconds.
Robbie Dreher had 12 points and Charles Corbin scored 10 for Winthrop.
Flittner, C.J. Hailey and Stefon Johnson scored 12 points each for Gardner-Webb. Johnson added 10 rebounds.
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Arizona runs away from Gardner-Webb in second half Dec 2
- Bulldogs hit road seeking upset of third-ranked Wildcats Dec 2
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- Duke takes care of Gardner-Webb Dec 16
- Runnin' Bulldogs seek upset of mighty Blue Devils Dec 16
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16