Northeastern beats UNC-Wilmington 65-56Feb 17, 2010 - 3:44 AM WILMINGTON, N.C.(AP) -- Chaisson Allen scored 23 points and Manny Adako added 22 to help Northeastern overcome a 14-point deficit to beat North Carolina-Wilmington 65-56 on Tuesday night.
Matt Janning added 12 points for the Huskies (18-9, 13-3 Colonial Athletic Association), who have won five of their last six. Northeastern's win, along with Drexel's 73-54 loss to Virginia Commonwealth on Tuesday, clinched a first-round bye in the CAA conference tournament.
The Huskies trailed UNC-Wilmington 38-24 with 19:50 left in the second half on a three-point play by Keith Rendleman. Northeastern rallied and took a 51-50 lead on Adako's layup with 6:46 left.
The Seahawks (8-19, 4-12) regained the lead at 54-53 on Ahmad Grant's jumper with 5:11 to play. But Allen, who finished with six rebounds and four steals, answered with a 3-pointer to put Northeastern up for good.
Northeastern forced 18 Seahawks' turnovers.
- It's David vs. Goliath when UNC Wilmington meets Duke Mar 17
- Irish survive upset bid in NCAA opener Mar 19
- Midwest Regional action pits Irish against Huskies Mar 19
- Northeastern dancing for first time since 1991 Mar 9
- Huskies and Tribe meet for CAA crown Mar 9
- Louisville holds off UNCW Dec 14
- Fourth-ranked Cardinals set sights on Seahawks Dec 14
- UNC-Wilmington hires Louisville assistant Keatts Mar 27
- Peterson out as UNCW head coach Mar 11
- No. 19 North Carolina cruises past UNC-Wilmington Dec 31
- Seahawks and Tar Heels meet in New Year's Eve fracas Dec 31
- Biedenbach resigns as UNC Asheville head coach Apr 3