Elon holds off late UNC-Greensboro surge 70-65Feb 18, 2010 - 2:33 AM ELON, N.C.(AP) -- Drew Spradlin scored 14 points and Elon held off North Carolina-Greensboro 70-65 on Wednesday night.
The Phoenix (7-19, 5-10 Southern Conference) led 59-47 with 3:51 remaining before the Spartans (5-21, 4-11) got three 3-pointers by Mikko Koivisto and one by Kendall Toney to trim the lead to 64-59 with 45 seconds left.
Chris Long and Terrance Birdette each made two free throws for Elon, sandwiched around a layup by the Spartans' Kyle Randall, for a seven-point lead, 68-61 with 31 seconds left.
Birdette scored 12 points for Elon, Adam Constantine added 11 and Long had 10.
The Spartans' Ben Stywall had 22 points and 11 rebounds for his 12th double-double of the season, but his seven first-half turnovers helped Elon lead 35-23 at halftime.
Koivisto had 19 points for North Carolina-Greensboro, shooting 6-for-15 behind the arc.
- No. 24 North Carolina drops UNC Greensboro Dec 16
- Tar Heels make short trip to tangle with Spartans Dec 16
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18
- Duke routs Elon Dec 31
- Elon seeks upset of No. 7 Duke Dec 31
- Dinwiddie leads Colorado over Elon Dec 14
- No. 21 Colorado puts streak on the line against Elon Dec 13
- No. 1 Duke downs Elon to remain unbeaten Dec 20