McKnight duo leads Akron past Miami (Ohio) 61-56Feb 18, 2010 - 2:58 AM OXFORD, Ohio(AP) -- Brett McKnight scored 13 points and Akron held off Miami of Ohio in a 61-56 win on Wednesday night, maintaining its share of the Mid-American Conference's top spot.
Chris McKnight, Brett's brother, had 12 points for the Zips (20-7, 10-3), who are tied with Kent State in the conference standings. With the loss, the RedHawks (11-15, 8-5) fell two games behind Akron.
Allen Roberts' three-point play put Miami ahead 50-49 with 4:41 left in the second half. But Chris McKnight, who went 5-for-8 from the floor, answered with a layup 20 seconds later to give the Zips the lead for good.
Kenny Hayes led the RedHawks with 16 points, Adam Fletcher had 12 points, and Julian Mavunga added eight points and grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds.
Akron won despite shooting 41.5 percent from the floor (22-for-53) compared to the RedHawks, who shot 42.3 percent (22-for-52).
- No. 21 Buckeyes overwhelm RedHawks Dec 22
- Buckeyes seek turnaround in clash with RedHawks Dec 22
- Williams, UMass down Miami-Ohio Jan 5
- RedHawks hit road seeking upset of 23rd-ranked Minutemen Jan 4
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Grant leads No. 21 Notre Dame past Miami-Ohio Nov 9
- Irish tip season off against RedHawks Nov 8
- Miami-Ohio guard Moore suspended 9 games Nov 6
- Former Miami-Ohio coach Coles dies Jun 7
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20