Morgan State edges Delaware State 68-65Feb 18, 2010 - 3:56 AM DOVER, Del.(AP) -- Reggie Holmes scored 17 points and Morgan State, the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference's No. 1 team, defeated second place Delaware State 68-65 on Wednesday night.
Troy Smith's jumper broke a 61-61 tie for the Bears (20-7, 11-1), and Holmes hit a jumper with 40 seconds left after a steal from Frisco Sandidge.
Marcus Neal pulled the Hornets (14-9, 9-4) within 65-63 with 29 seconds left, but they wouldn't get any closer as Smith answered with two free throws.
Delaware State's Marques Oliver missed a 3 with 4 seconds left that would have tied it.
Kevin Thompson added 14 points and 10 rebounds and Sean Thomas chipped in 10 points for Morgan State, which won its seventh straight against the Hornets.
Delaware State had just four turnovers, but were outrebounded 41-25.
Jay Threatt had 14 points and Neal and Oliver finished with 12 each for the Hornets.
- Delaware State beats D-III Summit U 93-44 for 1st win Jan 4
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15
- Delaware State fires Greg Jackson Jan 31
- Oregon cruises past Morgan State Dec 29
- Morgan State faces unenviable task of taking on No. 12 Oregon Dec 29
- No. 7 Oklahoma State demolishes Delaware State Dec 17
- Hornets hit road hoping to sting seventh-ranked Cowboys Dec 17
- Dayton tops Delaware State Dec 4
- 25th-ranked Flyers set sights on Hornets Dec 4