Powers leads Georgia Southern past Furman 79-77Feb 18, 2010 - 3:17 AM STATESBORO, Ga.(AP) -- Willie Powers scored 14 of his 21 points in the second half as Georgia Southern came back from a seven-point deficit in the final 7 minutes to defeat Furman 79-77 on Wednesday night.
A 3-pointer by Powers tied the game, 67-67, with 3:54 remaining, and his jumper with 3:20 broke the tie and put the Eagles (13-13, 7-8 Southern Conference) ahead to stay.
A free throw by Powers, two more by Antonio Hansen and a jumper by Powers pushed the lead to 74-67 with 1:26 left for the Eagles, who had lost four in a row.
Amu Saaka scored 27 points, including 19 in the second half, for the Paladins (12-14, 6-9), who led 34-32 after a first half in which there were seven lead changes and four ties.
Ben Drayton scored 15 points and Rory Spencer 13 for Georgia Southern.
Brandon Sebirumbi added 15 points for the Paladins.
- NCAA BB
GA SOUTHERN 79 FINAL
Feb 17 9:30 PM
- NCAA BB
GA SOUTHERN 32 HALFTIME
Feb 17 8:06 PM
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- Dancing again: Wofford clinches bid Mar 9
- Furman battles Wofford in SoCon championship game Mar 9
- No. 4 Duke handles Furman Nov 27
- Fourth-ranked Blue Devils take aim at Paladins Nov 26
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- Georgia Southern tabs Byington as men's basketball coach Apr 1
- Georgia Southern dismisses Young after 4 seasons Mar 12
- Clanton, No. 19 UCF handle Furman Dec 30
- Chattanooga tops Georgia Southern 82-62 Mar 5
- UNC-Greensboro beats Furman 66-65 in SoCon tourney Mar 5