Campbell defeats S.C.-Upstate 66-46Feb 18, 2010 - 2:13 AM BUIES CREEK, N.C.(AP) -- Lorne Merthie scored 21 points and Campbell took over first place in the Atlantic Sun Conference with a 66-46 victory over South Carolina-Upstate on Wednesday night.
Merthie hit a career-high seven 3-pointers, going 7-for-9, to help the Camels (17-9, 12-5) win their fifth consecutive game and set a school record for conference victories.
Jonathan Rodriguez added 15 points as Campbell led throughout, going up 41-22 on a Merthie 3-pointer with 3:55 left before halftime.
Amir Celestin, who scored 11 points, hit two free throws to give the Camels a 51-31 advantage with 14:46 to play in the game. They pushed the lead to 66-40 on William Kossangue's layup with 3:59 remaining.
Campbell was 20-for-23 from the foul line and outrebounded S.C.-Upstate 37-26 behind Miles Taylor, who had 10.
Josh Chavis scored 12 and Ryan LeGates added 10 points for the Spartans (5-21, 5-12).
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Strong second half lifts Maryland over USC Upstate Dec 13
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Spartans Dec 13
- Russell powers Ohio State over Campbell Nov 27
- Camels hope to get over hump in clash with Buckeyes Nov 26
- Campbell tabs McGeehan as head coach Apr 11
- Gardner-Webb moves on with rout of Campbell Mar 7
- Gonzaga thumps Campbell Dec 20
- Camels try to get over the hump in clash with 14th-ranked Zags Dec 19
- Wright, No. 22 Cincy thump Campbell Nov 20
- Camels hit road to battle 22nd-ranked Bearcats Nov 20
- USC Upstate gives Payne extension Oct 26