UTSA nips Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 57-56Feb 18, 2010 - 4:16 AM CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas(AP) -- Devin Gibson scored 18 points and Omar Johnson added 13 as UTSA held on to edge Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 57-56 Wednesday night.
After building an 18-point cushion in the first half, the Roadrunners (15-9, 5-6 Southland) gave up the lead in the second before rallying to escape with the victory.
Following Gibson's jumper which gave UTSA a 57-54 lead, Demond Watt hit two free throws to pull the Islanders (13-12, 7-4) to within one with 40 seconds to go.
Morris Smith IV then missed the first foul shot of a one-and-one, giving Corpus Christi a chance to win it. The Islanders' LaMarr Drake threw a lob pass to Marcus Hammonds on the far side of the basket, but the pass deflected off the backboard and several players batted for the loose ball as time expired.
Kevin Palmer led Corpus Christi with 19 points, and Demond Watt added 14.
- NCAA BB
TX A&M CORP CHR 56 FINAL
Feb 17 9:55 PM
- NCAA BB
TX A&M CORP CHR 27 HALFTIME
Feb 17 8:46 PM
- Oklahoma assistant Steve Henson hired as UTSA head coach Apr 1
- Texas-San Antonio fires basketball coach Brooks Thompson Mar 10
- Elmore scores 23 with 7 treys as Marshall beats UTSA 109-91 Feb 6
- Loyola of Chicago pulls away from UTSA in 76-64 win Nov 14
- UTSA extends Thompson through 2016-17 Jul 26
- Turner helps Aggies down Islanders Nov 26
- No.25 Aggies host Islanders in College Station Nov 26
- Ohio State cruises in NCAA tourney opener Mar 18
- Johnson scores 29, leads UTSA to 1st NCAA tourney win Mar 16
- Texas-San Antonio captures Southland title Mar 12
- No. 16 Memphis edges Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Dec 21
- Jayhawks cruise to school-record 63rd consecutive home win Nov 23