Brown leads Sam Houston State past Lamar 66-54Feb 18, 2010 - 3:57 AM BEAUMONT, Texas(AP) -- Preston Brown notched a double-double to help keep Sam Houston State perfect in the Southland Conference with a 66-54 victory over Lamar on Wednesday night.
Brown had a game-high four 3-pointers among his 19 points and 11 rebounds for the Bearkats (19-5, 11-0), who won their 11th game in a row. Gilberto Clavell added 18 points on 7-for-11 shooting.
Justin Nabors led the Cardinals (14-13, 5-6) with 19 points. Kendrick Harris scored 10 points but went just 2 of 11.
Sam Houston State outshot Lamar 46.2 percent (24 of 52) to 33.3 percent (17 of 51) and held a 42-26 rebounding advantage.
The Bearkats blasted to a 7-0 lead, and Corey Allmond's 3-pointer stretched it to 31-13, the largest of the first half.
Josten Crow's 3-pointer put Sam Houston State ahead 43-20 before Lamar's 16-3 run trimmed it to 46-38. But the Bearkats clamped down and won comfortably.
- NCAA BB
SAM HOUSTON ST 66
LAMAR 54 FINAL
Feb 17 10:06 PM
- NCAA BB
SAM HOUSTON ST 33
LAMAR 16 HALFTIME
Feb 17 9:01 PM
- Sam Houston State beats St. Thomas (Texas) 114-92 Nov 17
- SFA tops SHSU to win Southland tourney again Mar 15
- Lumberjacks and Bearkats go for Southland championship Mar 14
- No. 20 Iowa State pulls away to rout Lamar Dec 2
- Cyclones seek redemption in clash with Cardinals Dec 2
- No. 22 SMU routs Lamar in opener Nov 15
- 22nd-ranked Mustangs begin season against Cardinals Nov 14
- Stephen F. Austin drubs Sam Houston State for Southland title Mar 16
- Bearkats battle Lumberjacks in Southland Tournament final Mar 15
- Lamar axes Pat Knight Feb 16
- Top-ranked Indiana blasts Sam Houston State Nov 15
- Bearkats come north seeking upset of top-ranked Hoosiers Nov 15