Fla. Atlantic beats Fla. International 77-74Feb 19, 2010 - 3:31 AM MIAMI(AP) -- Sanchez Hughley scored 19 points, including a late free throw to help seal Florida Atlantic's 77-74 win over Florida International on Thursday night.
Raymond Taylor added 17 points while Greg Gantt had 16 for the Owls (14-12, 10-5 Sun Belt Conference), who completed the season sweep over their state rivals. They beat FIU 106-88 on Jan. 30.
Brett Royster notched a double-double for the Owls, scoring 10 points and pulling down 14 rebounds.
With the win, FAU remained in the mix in a five-way tie atop the Sun Belt standings with three games to play.
FIU led 70-69 with just over 3 minutes to play, but Taylor hit a 3-pointer for FAU and the Owls stayed in front the rest of the way. Both Taylor and Hughley hit late foul shots to secure the win.
Tremayne Russell scored 18 points to lead the Golden Panthers (7-22, 4-12).
The Owls have won seven of the last nine games.
- Florida State-FAU game delayed twice by problems with basket Dec 19
- No. 5 Louisville powers past FIU Dec 5
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 5
- Smith powers Louisville to blowout of FIU Dec 22
- Cardinals fly south to take on Panthers Dec 21
- Duke barely breaks a sweat in topping FAU Nov 15
- Blue Devils battle Owls in non-coference fray Nov 15
- FIU tabs Evans as head coach Apr 16
- Western Kentucky wins back-to-back Sun Belt titles Mar 12
- Hilltoppers and Panthers duke it out for Sun Belt crown Mar 11
- Zeller, Hoosiers cruise past Florida Atlantic Dec 22
- Owls hope to soar past sixth-ranked Hoosiers Dec 21