Lander, Western Illinois drop Southern Utah 63-49Feb 19, 2010 - 3:07 AM MACOMB, Ill.(AP) -- Matt Lander scored 20 points as Western Illinois won its third in a row, defeating Southern Utah 63-49 on Thursday night.
Tommie Tyler added 12 points and Ceola Clark 10 for the Leathernecks (12-14, 5-10 Summit League), who won just their second league game at home.
Dallin Bachynski went 7-for-10 and scored 20 points to lead the Thunderbirds (6-20, 2-13), who dropped their fifth in a row. Davis Baker grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds.
Southern Utah, which fell to 0-8 in league road games, started both halves with long droughts.
The Thunderbirds trailed 7-0 before Bachynski converted a three-point play after 7:59 had elapsed in the first half.
The Leathernecks also scored the first seven points of the second half and held Southern Utah scoreless for 4:22 until Ryan Brimley's jumper cut it to 42-25.
Western Illinois' lead peaked at 51-27 on Tyler's 3-pointer with 11:56 left.
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN UTAH 49
WESTRN ILLINOIS 63 FINAL
Feb 18 9:49 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN UTAH 23
WESTRN ILLINOIS 35 HALFTIME
Feb 18 8:50 PM
- Saint Mary's rolls over Southern Utah 92-36 Dec 17
- SDSU routs Southern Utah Dec 19
- Thunderbirds come calling on 24th-ranked Aztecs Dec 18
- No. 21 Gonzaga crushes Southern Utah Nov 10
- No. 21 Gonzaga opens season at home versus Southern Utah Nov 9
- Callahan lifts South Dakota State over Western Illinois in OT Mar 7
- Leathernecks and Jackrabbits seek Summit League championship Mar 6
- Michigan holds off Western Illinois Nov 18
- Leathernecks seek upset of 17th-ranked Wolverines Nov 17
- UNLV cruises past Southern Utah Dec 19
- Glenn leads IUPUI over Western Illinois 77-68 Mar 7
- Baker hits 31 in finale, Southern Utah wins 70-67 Feb 28