Monmouth (N.J.) edges St. Francis (N.Y.) 51-49Feb 19, 2010 - 3:28 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Will Campbell hit two free throws with 4 seconds left to lift Monmouth (N.J.) to a 51-49 win over St. Francis (N.Y.) on Thursday night.
St. Francis' Akeem Bennett could have sent in the game into overtime, but he missed on a tip-in to preserve the win for the Hawks (12-15, 8-7 Northeast Conference).
Travis Taylor led Monmouth with a game-high 16 points, while Justin Sofman had 14 points and Campbell added 10. The Hawks won despite shooting 37.3 percent from the floor (19-for-51) compared to St. Francis, which didn't shoot much better at 39.6 percent (19-for-48).
Sofman's 3-pointer gave Monmouth a 47-40 lead with 5:24 to play. St. Francis (10-16, 7-8) went on a 9-2 run to tie the game at 49-49 with 1:21 left, until Campbell knocked down two go-ahead free throws.
Bennett led St. Francis with 15 points and 12 rebounds, while Ricky Cadell had 12 points.
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- St. Francis Brooklyn holds off Robert Morris 82-72 Feb 20
- Born with broken ankle, Monmouth guard beating doubters Feb 18
- St. Francis (BKN) holds off Robert Morris 56-49 Jan 9
- GIF away, Monmouth! NCAA not stopping bench celebrations Dec 9
- Surprising Monmouth basketball winning and having fun Dec 3
- Robert Morris downs St. Francis-NY for NEC crown Mar 10
- Terriers take on Colonials in NEC title tilt Mar 10
- No. 9 Syracuse survives scare from St. Francis Nov 18
- Terriers take on Orange in Maui Invitational regional action Nov 18
- Syracuse destroys Monmouth Dec 8
- Hawks face tall task in clash with fourth-ranked Orange Dec 8