Long Island U. beats Monmouth 83-74Feb 21, 2010 - 12:46 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Jaytornah Wisseh scored 21 points and Kyle Johnson had 20 as Long Island U. defeated Monmouth, N.J., 83-74 on Saturday.
Jamal Olasewere added 16 points and Kenny Onyechi had 11 for the Blackbirds (12-15, 10-6 Northeast Conference), who shot 54 percent from the field (27 of 50).
The Blackbirds have won two in a row and four of their past six.
Trailing 44-43 with 15:29 remaining, Long Island went on a 12-2 run to grab a 55-46 lead with 13:38 to play after a basket by Wisseh. The Blackbirds, who led by as many as 10 points in the second half, never trailed the rest of the way as the lead did not dip below four points.
Travis Taylor scored 20 points, Whitney Coleman added 19, Justin Sofman had 12 and Ed Waite 10 for the Hawks (12-16, 8-8), who lost their second straight game.
The Hawks grabbed 10 offensive rebounds and outscored the Blackbirds 13-5 on second-chance points.
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- Born with broken ankle, Monmouth guard beating doubters Feb 18
- GIF away, Monmouth! NCAA not stopping bench celebrations Dec 9
- Surprising Monmouth basketball winning and having fun Dec 3
- James Madison advances in win over Long Island Mar 21
- Blackbirds, Dukes clash in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 20
- LIU Brooklyn downs Mount St. Mary's, wins NEC title Mar 12
- NEC crown up for grabs as Blackbirds take on Mountaineers Mar 12
- Syracuse destroys Monmouth Dec 8
- Hawks face tall task in clash with fourth-ranked Orange Dec 8
- Kentucky shoots the lights out against Long Island Nov 24
- No. 20 Notre Dame dominates Monmouth Nov 12