Longwood starts quickly, tops Savannah State 68-54Feb 20, 2010 - 10:02 PM FARMVILLE, Va.(AP) -- Dana Smith scored 15 points, and Kevin Swecker and Antwan Carter scored 14 apiece as Longwood defeated Savannah State 68-54 on Saturday.
Smith scored seven points and Carter six as the Lancers (11-17) built a 20-6 lead in the opening 6:16, and they led by as many as 18 points on the way to a 30-17 halftime lead. Swecker hit three 3-pointers in the first half and was 4-for-6 in the game.
The Tigers (10-15) got no closer than seven points in the second half, 32-25 with 17 minutes remaining. Martiz Washington connected on three consecutive 3-pointers for Longwood that gave the Lancers a 45-30 lead with 10:10 left.
Longwood outshot Savannah State 46.8 percent (22-for-47) to 36 percent (18-for-50) and benefited from 25 Tigers turnovers, although the Lancers committed 20 of their own.
Patrick Hardy scored 12 points and Tracy Rankins 11 to lead Savannah State.
- Hurricanes have easy time with Savannah State Dec 9
- Hurricanes hope to rebound in bout with visiting Tigers Dec 8
- Louisville destroys overmatched Savannah State Nov 24
- Cardinals expect to soar in clash with visiting Tigers Nov 24
- Baylor keeps home streak alive, routs Savannah State Jan 3
- Hapless Tigers tangle with surging Bears Jan 3
- Florida thumps Savannah State Dec 29
- Hapless Tigers hit road to challenge 13th-ranked Gators Dec 29
- Gillian resigns as Longwood men's hoops coach Mar 14
- Thomas leads No. 7 Buckeyes to rout of Savannah State Dec 12
- Savannah State faces tough task in clash with No. 7 Ohio State Dec 12
- Porter, Georgetown rout Longwood Dec 10