Hampton routs Bethune-Cookman 71-44Feb 21, 2010 - 12:29 AM DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.(AP) -- Darrion Pellum scored 16 points and three others reached double figures as Hampton routed Bethune-Cookman 71-44 on Saturday.
Michael Freeman added 14 points, Kwame Morgan had 11 and Charles Funches 10 (all on free throws) for the Pirates (9-17, 5-8 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference), who snapped a two-game losing streak. It was the fewest points allowed by the Pirates all season.
Leading 26-21 at halftime, the Pirates opened the second half with a 13-0 run to lead 39-21 with 16:19 to play after a 3-pointer by Brandon Tunnell. A jumper by Tunnell with 3:07 to play gave the Pirates their largest lead of the game at 69-40.
Hampton turned 14 Wildcats turnovers into 21 points. The Pirates also outrebounded the Wildcats 37-26.
Javoris Bryant scored 15 points and Alexander Starling added 10 for the Wildcats (14-13, 6-7), who have lost four in a row.
- NCAA BB
BETHUNE COOKMAN 44 FINAL
Feb 20 6:18 PM
- NCAA BB
BETHUNE COOKMAN 21 HALFTIME
Feb 20 5:14 PM
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Bethune-Cookman beats Trinity Baptist 108-54 in opener Nov 13
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16
- Pirates come calling on 23rd-ranked Orange Nov 16
- Norfolk State earns 1st NCAA tourney bid by besting Bethune-Cookman Mar 10