Turner's late 3 lifts MSU past LSU 60-59Feb 20, 2010 - 11:00 PM By BRETT MARTEL AP Sports Writer
BATON ROUGE, La.(AP) -- Phil Turner's 3-pointer with 5.8 seconds left lifted Mississippi State to a 60-59 victory over struggling LSU on Saturday.
The Tigers were on the brink of their first league win of the season when Tasmin Mitchell's 3-pointer gave LSU a 59-57 lead with 14.7 seconds to go. But with the home crowd going wild, Turner calmly answered on the other end.
The Bulldogs (19-8, 7-5 Southeastern Conference) were able to hold on when Bo Spencer's rushed shot from just inside half court missed everything.
Ravern Johnson led MSU with 16 points, while Jarvis Varnado finished with 14 points and seven blocked shots.
Mitchell led LSU (9-17, 0-12) with 25 points and nine rebounds, while Storm Warren added 14 points.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MISSISSIPPI STATE 24 36 60
LSU 20 39 59 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: MISSISSIPPI STATE - RAVERN JOHNSON 16, JARVIS VARNADO 14,
DEE BOST 8
LSU - TASMIN MITCHELL 25, STORM WARREN 14,
DENNIS HARRIS 10
Feb 20 5:47 PM
- NCAA BB
MISSISSIPPI ST 24
LSU 20 HALFTIME
Feb 20 4:41 PM
- LSU coach: Guard Tim Quarterman leaving for NBA draft Mar 28
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- LSU freshman Ben Simmons announces he'll enter the NBA draft Mar 21
- LSU coach takes responsibility for disappointing season Mar 15
- LSU coach: Tigers won't play in any postseason tourneys Mar 13
- LSU says Ben Simmons ineligible for Wooden Award Mar 5
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Simmons confident LSU will raise game vs. tougher schedule Dec 28
- Fast start by LSU's Simmons compares well to recent greats Dec 4
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- LSU hoping Simmons, Blakeney make Tigers an SEC power Oct 29