Florida Gulf Coast beats Belmont 85-80Feb 21, 2010 - 1:26 AM FORT MYERS, Fla.(AP) -- Reed Baker and Sherwood Brown scored 16 points apiece to pace Florida Gulf Coast to an 85-80 win over Belmont on Saturday.
Brown added seven rebounds for the Eagles (8-20, 5-13 Atlantic Sun Conference), who snapped a seven-game losing streak with the win. Reggie Chambers chipped in with 12 points.
The Eagles led 79-74 with 50 seconds remaining, but Belmont used a quick 6-2 run to cut the lead to 81-80 after Brandon Baker's 3-pointer with 19 seconds left. However, Belmont would not score again, and Brown and Chambers each made a pair of free throws to secure the win.
Ian Clark led Belmont (17-11, 12-6) with 11 points. The Bruins had a six-game winning streak snapped.
Florida Gulf Coast shot 82.1 percent from the free throw line (23-for-28), while Belmont shot 19-for-30 from the charity stripe (63.3 percent).
- NCAA BB
FLA GULF COAST 85 FINAL
Feb 20 7:23 PM
- NCAA BB
FLA GULF COAST 32 HALFTIME
Feb 20 5:59 PM
- FGCU hoops coach Dooley gets 2-year extension through 2020 May 7
- Tar Heels aim to stay on defensive vs. Eagles in NCAAs Mar 16
- Virginia staves off upset bid from Belmont Mar 20
- Belmont battles Virginia in East Regional melee Mar 20
- Belmont shocks Murray State to win OVC crown Mar 7
- Racers and Bruins battle for OVC crown Mar 7
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8
- Randle helps Kentucky fend off Belmont Dec 21
- Wildcats set sights on Bruins Dec 21