St Bonaventure defeats La Salle 77-66Feb 22, 2010 - 12:04 AM PHILADELPHIA(AP) -- Andrew Nicholson scored 24 points and Chris Matthews added 21 to lead St. Bonaventure past La Salle 77-66 on Sunday.
The Bonnies (11-14, 4-8 Atlantic 10 Conference) shot 53.8 percent from 3-point range in the second half (7 of 13), after going just 1-for-5 before halftime. Matthews finished 7 of 13 from long range as the Bonnies moved into a tie for ninth place in the A10 with George Washington.
St. Bonaventure and La Salle (11-15, 3-9) were tied for 11th, with the top 12 earning a spot in the conference tournament.
The Bonnies scored 16 points off 12 turnovers and had 22 assists, including six by Matthews.
Steve Weingarten had 18 points and 17 rebounds for La Salle, which lost its sixth straight.
Jerrell Williams added 13 points and 14 rebounds, Aaric Murray scored 13 and Rodney Green 11 for the Explorers.
- Surprising St. Bonaventure nudges into NCAA Tournament talk Mar 10
- No. 24 Davidson beats La Salle at buzzer Mar 13
- Explorers seek upset of Wildcats in A-10 Tournament Mar 13
- La Salle downs slumping VCU in double OT Feb 11
- Explorers seek upset of 20th-ranked Rams Feb 11
- St. Bonaventure stuns VCU on buzzer-beater Feb 7
- Bonnies entertain 18th-ranked Rams Feb 7
- No. 10 Villanova tops Big 5 rival La Salle Dec 4
- La Salle seeks upset of No. 10 Villanova Dec 3
- Brogdon and Virginia down La Salle Nov 29
- Explorers seek upset of eighth-ranked Cavaliers Nov 28
- Gathers' buzzer-beater gives Bonnies upset of Saint Louis Mar 14