East Tennessee defeats S.C.-Upstate 63-56Feb 22, 2010 - 12:25 AM JOHNSON CITY, Tenn.(AP) -- Justin Tubbs and Sheldon Cooley scored 13 points each to help East Tennessee State rally for a 63-56 victory over South Carolina-Upstate on Sunday.
S.C.-Upstate led by 18 points in the first half and 56-51 with 4:08 left in the game, but ETSU (15-14, 11-8 Atlantic Sun Conference) finished with a 12-0 run. Tubbs' 3-pointer gave the Buccaneers a 59-56 lead with 1:44 remaining.
The Spartans (5-22, 5-13), who lost for the fourth time in five games, shot 62.5 percent from the field (15-for-24) and scored 37 first half points, but shot 29.6 percent in the second half (8-for-27) and scored 19 points after the break.
ETSU shot 80 percent from the free throw line (20-for-25) and hit 14 of its final 15 free throws.
Micah Williams scored 12 points and Tommy Hubbard added 10 points for ETSU. J.C. Ward had 12 rebounds.
Nick Schneiders led the Spartans with 22 points.
- NCAA BB
USC UPSTATE 56
EAST TENN ST 63 FINAL
Feb 21 6:04 PM
- NCAA BB
USC UPSTATE 37
EAST TENN ST 29 HALFTIME
Feb 21 4:58 PM
- East Tennessee State tabs Forbes as new men's basketball coach Mar 31
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Strong second half lifts Maryland over USC Upstate Dec 13
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Spartans Dec 13
- No. 4 Arizona blasts East Tennessee State Dec 23
- Bucs seek upset of fourth-ranked Wildcats Dec 22
- North Carolina crushes East Tennessee State Dec 9
- No. 20 Tar Heels take on Buccaneers Dec 8
- USC Upstate gives Payne extension Oct 26
- Buckeyes handle Spartans, Sullinger solid in return Dec 15
- Buckeyes and Spartans square off in Columbus Dec 14
- Bledsoe's eight 3s lead Kentucky past ETSU 100-71 Mar 19