Thomas helps Bethune-Cookman hold off Howard 52-44Feb 23, 2010 - 3:31 AM DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.(AP) -- Jarrell Thomas scored 10 points, including the final four of the game, to help Bethune-Cookman hold off Howard 52-44 on Monday night, snapping a four-game losing streak.
Howard's 44 points marked a season-low for a Wildcats opponent.
C.J. Reed scored 10 of his 12 points in the first half to help Bethune-Cookman (15-13, 7-7 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) build a 29-17 halftime lead.
Howard trailed by eight when a Curtis White 3-pointer and Calvin Thompson free throw cut the deficit to 48-44 with 2:14 left. But Thomas made a steal and a layup at the 1:08 mark to make it 50-44, then hit two free throws with 20.9 seconds remaining.
The Bison (7-22, 6-8), led by reserves Kyle Riley with 11 points and Mike Phillips with 10, lost for the seventh time in eight games.
Howard's lowest-scoring game of the season was a 57-33 loss to Georgia State on Nov. 21.
- NCAA BB
BETHUNE COOKMAN 52 FINAL
Feb 22 9:43 PM
- NCAA BB
BETHUNE COOKMAN 29 HALFTIME
Feb 22 8:36 PM
- Bethune-Cookman beats Trinity Baptist 108-54 in opener Nov 13
- Norfolk State earns 1st NCAA tourney bid by besting Bethune-Cookman Mar 10
- MEAC title up for grabs in Winston-Salem Mar 10
- No. 17 Kansas downs Howard Dec 30
- Kansas welcomes Howard to Lawrence Dec 29
- Indiana thumps Howard Dec 19
- Bison seek upset of undefeated Hoosiers Dec 19
- No. 6 Baylor stays perfect with win over Bethune-Cookman Dec 15
- No.6 Bears welcome Wildcats to Waco Dec 14
- No. 18 Georgetown downs Howard Dec 10
- Bison face tall task in bout with 18th-ranked Hoyas Dec 10
- Terps point guard Howard out with foot injury Oct 27