Simpson propels Hampton past Florida A&M 70-61Feb 23, 2010 - 3:33 AM TALLAHASSEE, Fla.(AP) -- Vincent Simpson scored 14 of his 16 points in the second half and Hampton defeated Florida A&M 70-61 on Monday night.
The Pirates (10-17, 6-8 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) held the Rattlers to 35.7 percent shooting (10 of 28) in the second half, after Florida A&M shot 53.8 percent in the first (14 of 26).
The Rattlers (7-20, 4-10) committed 13 of their 15 turnovers in the second half, while dishing out just four of their 12 assists.
Hampton pulled away with eight straight points after Cecil Bent's jumper put Florida A&M up 48-46 with 12:53 to go.
Simpson's three-point play capped the run, putting the Pirates up for good at 54-48 with 9:29 remaining.
Michael Freeman chipped in 12 points and 11 assists and Charles Funches added 13 points for Hampton.
Amin Stevens paced the Rattlers with 14 points and Yannick Crowder added 12.
- NCAA BB
FLORIDA A&M 61 FINAL
Feb 22 9:39 PM
- NCAA BB
FLORIDA A&M 34 HALFTIME
Feb 22 8:36 PM
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Florida A&M holds off Thomas (Ga.) 70-68 behind Bernard Nov 19
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16
- Pirates come calling on 23rd-ranked Orange Nov 16
- Irving returns as Duke routs Hampton Mar 18