Appalachian State defeats Elon 58-54Feb 23, 2010 - 2:30 AM ELON, N.C.(AP) -- Donald Sims scored 25 points to lead Appalachian State to a 58-54 win over Elon on Monday night.
Sims shot 8-for-18 from the field and added six rebounds for the Mountaineers (18-11, 11-5 Southern Conference). Isaac Butts chipped in with a double-double, scoring 10 points and grabbing 11 rebounds.
Appalachian State held a 56-54 lead with 32 seconds left after Jeremi Booth made one of two from the free throw line. Elon had a chance to tie, but Chris Long missed a layup with 19 seconds remaining. Sims then made two free throws with 17 seconds left to secure the win.
Adam Constantine finished with 13 points and seven rebounds to lead the Phoenix (8-20, 5-11). TJ Douglas added 12 points, while Long dished out seven assists.
Appalachian State outrebounded Elon 46-29, and scored 17 second chance points off of 15 offensive rebounds.
- NCAA BB
APPALACHIAN ST 58
ELON 54 FINAL
Feb 22 9:10 PM
- NCAA BB
APPALACHIAN ST 24
ELON 29 HALFTIME
Feb 22 7:56 PM
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18
- Duke routs Elon Dec 31
- Elon seeks upset of No. 7 Duke Dec 31
- Dinwiddie leads Colorado over Elon Dec 14
- No. 21 Colorado puts streak on the line against Elon Dec 13
- No. 1 Duke downs Elon to remain unbeaten Dec 20