Va. Commonwealth defeats James Madison 76-62Feb 25, 2010 - 2:54 AM RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- Joey Rodriguez scored 18 of his 24 points in the first half to lead Virginia Commonwealth to a 76-62 victory over James Madison on Wednesday night.
The Rams (20-7, 11-6 Colonial Athletic Association) set a school record with their fourth straight 20-win season. Forward T.J. Gwynn participated in a win for a school-record 96th time.
After the Dukes scored the first basket, the Rams ran off 13 straight points, 11 by Rodriguez who began the spurt with eight straight points on a short jumper, 3-pointer and three free throws. The Dukes had turnovers on five of six possessions.
James Madison (12-18, 4-13) cut the margin to one on four occasions, but could not regain the lead as a Bradford Burgess' jumper at the buzzer gave Virginia Commonwealth a 37-33 halftime lead.
Rodriguez finished with 18 points, hitting 6 of 8 field goals, including 3 of 4 3-point attempts.
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- James Madison hires alum Louis Rowe as men's hoops coach Mar 31
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- Matt Brady out at James Madison as men's basketball coach Mar 14
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11