UC Santa Barbara escapes with 74-69 victoryFeb 25, 2010 - 6:05 AM SANTA BARBARA, Calif.(AP) -- Orlando Johnson scored 19 points and James Powell added 17 as UC Santa Barbara held off Cal State-Northridge 74-69 Wednesday night.
Jaime Serna and James Nunnally each had 15 points for the Gauchos (17-8, 11-3 Big West), who have won a season-high six straight and nine of 10.
Kenny Daniels led the Matadors (10-18, 5-8) with 23 points.
Santa Barbara took control early - it led by 13 points less than 10 minutes into the game - but then nearly blew a 26-point, second-half lead. Up 47-21 with 13:48 to play, the Gauchos were outscored 21-4 over the next six minutes as the Matadors pulled to within nine.
Northridge later cut the lead to 69-67 with 24 seconds remaining, but Santa Barbara hit 5-of-6 free throws to escape.
The Gauchos led 32-17 at halftime and opened the second half with a 15-4 run for their largest lead.
- Blackshear scores 31 as Louisville routs CS-Northridge Dec 24
- Matadors hit road to challenge fourth-ranked Cardinals Dec 23
- Johnson, Arizona cruise past CS Northridge Nov 17
- Matadors seek upset of second-ranked Wildcats Nov 16
- Kansas handles challenge from UCSB Nov 15
- No. 5 Kansas lifts lid on season against UC Santa Barbara Nov 14
- Matadors visit 16th-ranked Aztecs to tip off season Nov 14
- Cal Poly clinches Big West, first NCAA berth Mar 16
- Big West championship game pits Mustangs against Matadors Mar 15
- UCLA takes care of UC Santa Barbara Dec 4
- Gauchos and Bruins mix it up in Golden State fracas Dec 3
- Theus takes over at Cal State Northridge Apr 3