Middle Tennessee knocks off FIU 74-71Feb 26, 2010 - 4:25 AM MIAMI(AP) -- Calvin O'Neil scored 19 points to lead Middle Tennessee to a 74-71 victory over Florida International, which finished Thursday night's game without coach Isiah Thomas, who was ejected.
Thomas, the Hall of Famer and former NBA coach and executive, was ejected after he ran onto the court to complain to an official.
With 7:51 left and FIU trailing 57-53, Tremayne Russell was hit while attempting a putback, but there was no call. Thomas high-stepped onto the court in anger to confront the official closest to him.
It was the first ejection for Thomas in his first year as coach at FIU (7-23, 4-13 Sun Belt Conference).
Middle Tennessee (18-12, 12-5) led 68-60 with 1:33 left before FIU came back.
Down 74-71, JC Otero missed a game-tying 3-pointer, but the ball went out of bounds off the Blue Raiders with 1.5 seconds left. O'Neil stole the inbounds to clinch the victory.
MIDDLE TENN 74
FIU 71 FINAL
Feb 25 10:12 PM
- NCAA BB
MIDDLE TENN 38
FIU 35 HALFTIME
Feb 25 8:44 PM
- Middle Tennessee State sets sights on upset of Syracuse Mar 19
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Potts out indefinitely with concussion for Middle Tennessee Feb 26
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- No. 5 Louisville powers past FIU Dec 5
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 5
- Bluejays and Blue Raiders meet in Emerald Coast Classic Nov 29
- Smith powers Louisville to blowout of FIU Dec 22
- Cardinals fly south to take on Panthers Dec 21
- No. 16 Florida races past Middle Tennessee Nov 22
- Blue Raiders put perfect mark on line against 16th-ranked Gators Nov 21