Central Connecticut State beats Long Island 74-65Feb 26, 2010 - 2:55 AM NEW BRITAIN, Conn.(AP) -- Markeys Deans scored 17 points and three others reached double figures as Central Connecticut State defeated Long Island U. 74-65 on Thursday night.
Robby Ptacek and Joe Efese each scored 12 points, and Shemik Thompson added 11 for the Blue Devils (11-17, 8-9 Northeast Conference), who have won two games in a row.
The Blue Devils made 8 of 11 free throw attempts in the final 3:33 to put the game out of reach. With the game tied 56-56, Thompson capped a 14-4 run with two free throws to give the Blue Devils a 70-60 lead with 58 seconds to play.
Central shot 44.6 percent from the field (29 of 65) while the Blackbirds made only 34.3 percent (23 of 67).
Jaytornah Wisseh scored 22 points and David Hicks added 10 for the Blackbirds (12-16, 10-7). Jamal Olasewere contributed with 12 rebounds. the loss snapped a two-game winning streak for the Blackbirds.
- NCAA BB
LONG ISLAND 65
CENTRAL CONN 74 FINAL
Feb 25 9:27 PM
- NCAA BB
LONG ISLAND 35
CENTRAL CONN 33 HALFTIME
Feb 25 8:18 PM
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Dickenman retires after 20 years at Central Connecticut Feb 19
- CCSU holds off late charge by Robert Morris to win, 75-70 Feb 4
- Robert Morris uses late first-half run, beats CCSU 59-45 Jan 21
- Carter, Robinson carry BC past Central Conn. 82-57 Nov 19
- Ross leads No. 5 Buckeyes over CCSU Dec 7
- Blue Devils face tall task in clash with fifth-ranked Buckeyes Dec 7
- James Madison advances in win over Long Island Mar 21
- Blackbirds, Dukes clash in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 20
- LIU Brooklyn downs Mount St. Mary's, wins NEC title Mar 12
- NEC crown up for grabs as Blackbirds take on Mountaineers Mar 12
- Boeheim matches Knight as Syracuse rolls Dec 31