Hanson's 39 leads Georgia Southern past Elon 98-88Feb 26, 2010 - 3:34 AM STATESBORO, Ga.(AP) -- Antonio Hanson scored a career-high 39 points, hitting nine 3-pointers, to help Georgia Southern overcome an early deficit to beat Elon 98-88 on Thursday night.
Hanson shot 13 of 20 from the floor and made all four of his free throw attempts for the Eagles (9-21, 6-11 Southern Conference), who have won two in a row.
Ben Drayton finished with 18 points on 6-of-11 shooting for Georgia Southern, which shot 55.6 percent from the floor (35-for-63). Willie Powers added a double-double with 14 points and 10 assists.
The Phoenix (8-21, 5-12) held a 12-point lead with 2:58 left in the first half. But the Eagles outscored Elon 15-4 to cut lead to 45-44 with 17:32 left in the second half on Drayton's 3-pointer.
Hanson's 3-pointer broke a 53-53 tie to give Georgia Southern its first lead of the second half. The Eagles never trailed again after Roy Spencer's jumper with 11:29 left.
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18
- Duke routs Elon Dec 31
- Elon seeks upset of No. 7 Duke Dec 31
- Dinwiddie leads Colorado over Elon Dec 14
- No. 21 Colorado puts streak on the line against Elon Dec 13
- Georgia Southern tabs Byington as men's basketball coach Apr 1