Belmont edges Mercer 77-73Feb 26, 2010 - 4:56 AM NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Mick Hedgepeth scored 15 points to lead Belmont to a 77-73 victory over Mercer on Thursday night, the Bruins' seventh win in eight games.
Jordan Campbell and Keaton Belcher scored 11 points each and Belmont (18-11, 13-6 Atlantic Sun Conference) shot 53 percent from the field (28-for-52) to sweep the season series from Mercer (14-15, 10-9).
The Bruins led throughout the final 3 minutes, but couldn't pull away.
Belcher's 3-pointer gave Belmont a 70-65 lead with 2 minutes to play, but Jeff Smith's free throw cut the deficit to 71-68 with 30 seconds left.
After Drew Hanlen's two free throws, Mercer's Brian Mills hit a 3 to chop the lead to 73-71 with 15 seconds to remaining. The Bruins hit four free throws to seal it.
Mills scored 15, Daniel Emerson had 14 points and 12 rebounds, Smith had 12, and Brandon Moore and Mark Hall added 11 each for Mercer.
- NCAA BB
BELMONT 77 FINAL
Feb 25 10:17 PM
- NCAA BB
BELMONT 38 HALFTIME
Feb 25 9:00 PM
- Virginia staves off upset bid from Belmont Mar 20
- Belmont battles Virginia in East Regional melee Mar 20
- Belmont shocks Murray State to win OVC crown Mar 7
- Racers and Bruins battle for OVC crown Mar 7
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8